I don't have the $ to pay someone to change the brake discs and pads on my 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. Is there a "Do it yourself" for this that i can get so i do it right??

Asked by Sep 18, 2007 at 06:41 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am

2,765

Yes, go to Autozone.com.

5,025

Autozone has good resources, but if you are planning on performing more repair work in the future, you might want to invest in a Haynes repair manual available at most auto parts stores. You can get them for under $15 and they have detailed step by step instructions on procedures such as this with pictures.

I have a Haynes manual that I have used for everything including changing the engine in my 99 grand am. I did the brakes and rotors myself last weekend, very easy to do. Take the ties off and two other bolts and that is it. The hardest part was getting the old disks off, just used some WD40. Cost $104 for pads and disks for the front and oil and a filter for a change.

front or back. front take off wheel use a jack stand. turn steering wheel to left asuming you pull off left first.ok lets get started take out 2 bolts on back of brake calaper pull off calaper pull out old pads turn one around so pad is on calaper piston this is on backside you will see it now use a c clamp to pusch piston back in caliper old pad in front of piston dont forget this,back off on c clamp take out old break pad.let colaper hang or sit on a-frame.ok the bracket around rator look down u will see 2 bolts remove bolts pull out bracket and remove rotor if rusted smack with hammer want hurt it.now replace roter put bracket back on get both bolts tight do not over tighten hand tight and smack wrinth with hammer once or twice.put pads in calaper dont matter whitch 2 on theses cars.place calaper on and replace 2 bolts may have to play with it a little hand tighten only.do same on other side.you may see some break fluid run down dont worry this is normal.IMPORTANT when you finish get in car engine off dont start.PUMP BREAK PEDLE ABOUT 6^ TIMESGET PEDDLE UP,start car and pump 4 or5 more times.u can do it .i can do a front break job in 30 minuts.dont be afraid u can do it.