My 2000 Pontiac bonnieville will start, go about 10 feet in reverse or forward then won't move, I can wait a few minutes and do this again with the same results,what could the problem be

Asked by Mar 12, 2014 at 01:12 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Bonneville

4,525

When the car refuses to move while in gear, can you rev the engine, or does it seem like it's straining? In other words, does it sound like the car is going into Neutral, or more like the car is fighting against something holding it?

feels like its in neutral, any help would be helpful, would this be a sensor or the transmission, just changed the water pump but that didn't help, checked all fluid levels

4,525

Your car was known to have problems with the torque converter solenoid, which can cause gear lockup or no movement at all, so it's probably a good place to start looking. But in general the 4T65E transmission was a piece of junk from the factory. If you've got more than 50k miles without changing the fluid, it's probably toast. Try swapping out the solenoid, and change the fluid and filter, but I suspect your next call is to a transmission shop.