Fuel problems?

10

Asked by May 24, 2017 at 08:03 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire

I changed my starter and battery yesterday and my
car ran just fine. I wake up this morning and the car
starts to crank but shuts off immediately. I
changed the fuel pump today and its still doing the
same thing please help me.

2,045

check the ignition switch wires and also check the coil pack. if either of these are bad it wont start

2,045

There is a lot of possibilities including a handful of electronic items that need to be checked and the need to jump the pump adds more to that list. Start with a noid light set and check for injectors for a pulse and check for spark. Parts may be good but they aren't doing their job BC the computer isn't stating the problem

2,045

My guess would be the plug wires!! I purchased some previously and were faulty and when I checked the plugs again, they actually fell apart. So, I took them back and exchanged them. The new ones worked fine. I changed the plugs just in case. The largest problem seemed to be with the electric in the car

2,045

I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire that was doing all of the above. I ended up switching my fuel pump relay out with my air conditioner relay and my car started right up.

10

I think it has something to do with my fuel I have over a half a tank of gas and its not registering on my gauges but my gauges work.

10

I changed the relays when I changed the fuel pump this morning and it did the same thing. I also changed the starter relay.

2,045

How old are the spark plug wires? What brand spark plugs are in there?

2,045

I see u changed the battery.....make sure the cables are clean that connect to the battery as well

2,045

Jarvis.....lite bulb went on.....you stated...."I think it has something to do with my fuel I have over a half a tank of gas and its not registering on my gauges but my gauges work" That tells me the fuel pump is not connected correctly. Go back in that fuel tank and reconnect everything. Make sure it is the correct fuel pump for your car. I ordered a fuel pump for another car on-line....and placed it in my GM car.....my fuel always showed low. After 2 years of that the pump failed. When I replaced it I noticed the difference and ease of connecting the new one. It showed the correct amount of gas as well. I had put the wrong fuel pump in, and it worked somewhat, but was not the correct model. Need you to double check ur fuel pump today

10

The car was sitting for a while, I was in Iowa for 3 months could my gas line be clogged somewhere? And it reads error.

10

It reads error on the odometer.

2,045

Here is a link to a forum on a Pontiac reading error on the dash. This may help...his car has 237,000 miles on it! Wow http://sparkys-answers.com/2011/09/2000-pontiac-sunfire-odometer-reads.html

2,045

This first link I sent you has great pictures, and good explanations,. I have found similar discussions about your car....but just words and they all discuss the same module....with a bare wire

2,045

Also from an expert named Mike........ The speedometer will display "error" if an internal IPC memory failure is detected or there is a loss of class 2 communication. This might have to be taken to a dealer so a setup procedure for the BCM can be performed. This must be done with a class 2 scan tool. One thing that you can try first before you take it to the dealer, is disconnecting both battery cables and securing them away from the battery. With both cables disconnected, run a jumper wire between the two and let it sit for around 15 minutes. This completely drains all of the memory that is stored in the system and the modules. You can try this first to see if it works. If not it will have to be taken to a dealer. I hope this helps

2,045

As to ur gas line being clogged...that is a rare thing unless some kid put dirt in ur gas tank? There is a better chance that your fuel filter may have to be replaced.....the gas one buys....with alcohol....sometimes tears those fuel filters apart and that would prevent fuel going up front. Check that out....some fuel filters are clear plastic and u can see if the paper has become a mess or not