Why is one headlight dim with brand new bulbs?

Asked by Jan 06, 2008 at 06:45 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire

I just replaced both headlight bulbs, however one headlight, the passenger side, is still dim. I switched the bulbs, put the passenger in the drivers side and the drivers in the passenger side and the passengers side is still dim, so I know it is not the bulbs. I have plugged and unplugged the bulb several times to make sure that there is a good connection to no avail. Am I going to have to replace the wiring harnesses? If so how tedious of a job is it. I looked at them and cannot figure out how to take them off without cutting the wires?

no on wiring harness.check your ground to light also is the head light cover dulled out on that side or it could just be the plug in.

48,325

Yes, agreed. The plastic covers often get yellowed with age. Also, it could be an optical illusion if the headlamps themselves are not properly aligned -- you may want to have this done. You might be looking at the pass. side from a slightly different angle and it appears dimmer.

35

ELECTRIC FLOWS FROM NEGITIVE TO POSITIVE REPLACE THE GROUND TEMPORARLY IVE HAD SAME PROBLEM EVEN THOU LIGHT WORKS UP AND DOWN STILL NEEDS GROUND FOR LAMP

I'm having the same exact issue I replaced the light bulb I bought a brand new set of headlights and I'm having the same problem my passenger side light is very dim in my driver side light is normal I don't know if it has something to do with the connection or the wiring harness but the people that I've talked to nobody wants to tackle it and I don't want to spend $1,000 to get a wiring harness put in does anybody know if this problem could be that the headlights are set up on different fuses? I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am

I had the same problem and discovered it was a blown headlight fuse. Your owner's manual should tell you where the appropriate fuse is for that headlight. Pull it out and check to see if it is blown. Hopefully there are a variety of spare fuses included in the fuse box with one to match. I was able to fix the problem in less than 5 minutes.