Why won't my car let me put gas in? The gas can only pump for one second and it stops!

Asked by Aug 07, 2017 at 08:44 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire

I have a 2002 Sunfire and intermittently I cannot put in any gas.  It stops every
second to 5 seconds.  My check engine light is on.  I did have a rear end
accident a few months ago.

3,695

You can have the check engine light checked at a local parts store like AutoZone or Advanced Auto parts. They will connect a handheld computer to your car and pull the error codes. This will let you know why the light is on. As for the fuel problem, the gas nozzle cut off is a safety feature so you do not overflow the filler and spill gas. Try holding the nozzle at a different angle by holding the hose up, also try not inserting the nozzle all the way in (just far enough to open the filler flap in the car, and finally, try filling at a slower pace (don't squeeze the handle all the way).

I have the same issue with a 2002 sunfire. Holding at different angles does nothing, it was the first thing I tried.