02 sunfire low idle stall now wont start

Asked by Dec 28, 2013 at 07:09 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire

i just bought a 2002 sunfire with front end damage, only 34,000KM!
its been parked for a while, but surprisingly with a boost, it fired right up and ran like a top, no sputters or anything even with the old gas.
went back the next day to get it and drive it onto the dolly, had a hard time starting and had to keep the gas pedal in to keep it from stalling.
about 4-5 tries and then it wouldnt fire at all. gonna try to clear the antitheft this morning, the only thing im aware of mechanically unsound is the canister for the air intake, under the drivers front fender is off, but i think thats b4 the maf sensor, any ideas, i was also thinking timing belt, but i read on a diff thread that it had a chain? i havent looked yet

241,595

It could be the gas since it was run and pulled it out of the tank. Check for codes as well.

111,015

I agree with Tom. Sounds like bad gas issue. Could have picked up some condensation out of the tank the first time you cranked it and now it's all in the fuel line. If it was mine I would empty the gas tank and add fresh gas. Then remove fuel line at engine and allow fuel pump to pump new gas into the fuel line.(have something there to catch the old gas). When you smell good gas at engine reattach fuel line. Change fuel filter. Also pull the spark plugs inspect and clean them. If the plugs are wet and smell of bad gas I would turn the motor over a few times with the plugs out this should help blow out any bad gas in cylinders. Put plugs back in and Now try to restart it. I would not think you would have a timing issue in this case. Hope this helps.

i dont think it had anything to do with the fuel the anti theft lock light was on on the dashboard so i followed the instructions i found on another site ( try to start, let sit in run position for 10 mins, trun off and repeat 3 times, worked like a charm) but now my antitheft light is still on and service engine light( not check engine) no codes presant. thanx for the past suggestions, any new ideas? service engine might just be old oil? i got new oil and filter, havent changed it yet, (-11*C outside)