what causes the headlight indicated to blink 10 times and the service wrench idicator to come on?

Asked by May 16, 2008 at 10:27 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire

42,535

See other post.

Thanks for the suggestion - but it turned out that it was just a faulty headlight bulb. So, I just changed the headlight on my 2002 Sunfire. (And I'm a girl!) And if I can do it - so can you :) There is a splash guard that goes over the very front of the inside of the car. Holding the guard down are some plugs (they're like wall anchors for hanging pictures in that they expand when they go into the hole to keep everything secure). Pop the middle of them up with a screwdriver and then the whole plug comes out. Pull up the splash guard. You should see two large bolts right above where the headlight is. They say #2 on them. Remove those bolts, and the headlight assembly should come out. Once you get that part out, there's a blue v-shaped plastic bit that you slide over the little bit it sits over to be able to slide the bulb out. Pull the old bulb out, carefully put the new one in, and reassemble. Hope this helps!

20

I really appreciate your post. I had been to a mechanic with this same problem. He warned me an electrical problem would cost me, so I put it off. Both headlights worked, just that annoying blink 10 times/service light on problem. I changed the headlights (in the garage so no men would see me) hoping that was all it was. Turns out before when one light went out my ex-husband changed it, not the other. It must have just started going bad when the blinking started. When I put both new ones in the blinking stopped!!!!! No service light!!!!! Would have never tried it without this post. Thanks!

30

I have same problem after changing both headlights - I also have No Hi Beam - any ideas please

30

same problem here - replaced both headlights and still same - I have no Hi Beam - any other ideas ?

1,555

Ok I have solved the problem with the no headlights and no power to the wipers. I had enough with all the post on the internet to the effect of maybe it's this or maybe it's that? Well after careful reviews and going over the blueprints and wire diagrams I have found the issue on all these problems for no headlights and no wiper blades. The GROUND WIRE IS THE PROBLEM. There are two wires that come from the light switch and these two wires connect to a third wire that supplies ground to the Wiper Motor. The very easy fix to this is to take the two grounds from the plug on the light switch. You will need to remove the three bottom screws from the steering housing and counter twist the tilt steering arm to remove it. After this take the first wire to the left (Black/White Strip) and the second to the right (Black) and add a clip on wire connector. Join the two together and ground them to a Grounding source. This allows the ground to be routed to another source and you wont need to find the broken ground. After this you will have everything working 100%. I just did this to my daughters car and it is now perfect. I have a picture to show wire harness. This job took me 20 minutes and no HIGH Labor cost. Good Luck

Well I have a problem where everything works but the headlights. The parking lights work. Everything does. But the headlights will not come on at all. Any suggestions?