What is the ETS button for?

Asked by Dec 27, 2007 at 05:07 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire

I cannot figure what the ETS button is for next to the steering column. What is it?

I believe this is electronic traction/stability. Turning it on will give an added measure of driving safety, but some folks prefer to drive with it off, since it supposedly gives them a more "sporty" driving feel.

also when its on and you stomp the gas to the floor, your car will cut off the power to the wheels and your engine will just rev. it can be helpful for unexperienced people but its actually hindered me when tryin to get out of a tight spot so i dont use it.

It stands for Enhanced Traction System- leave it on for regular driving- it doesn't engage unless the wheels slip, and then it will cut back power to the engine until you regain traction (that is why it cuts out Tim) if you get stuck, shut it off, rock the car out, and once you are out, turn it back on. It doesn't have the ability to move the power around to different wheels or anything, just cut back engine power so you don't spin out of control. It doesn't hurt fuel economy either to have it on.

indeed thx a bunch

I my opinion it is better to leave it off and use the throttle to control traction.

If I were to cut off the ETS does it save on gas