I have a 02 Pontiac grand prix I bought the car a week ago guy I purchased it from said the starter was bad when I attempted to start it it started right up so I drove it around the block then killed

10

Asked by Jan 17, 2014 at 03:34 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

It got nothing tired start again started right
up. stated another 20-30 times then
wouldn't start got no cranking
headlights,redio go off when try to start it.
took battery to auto parts had charged then
car started right up drove 3 days then
nothing again. Any idea why this is

8,015

Did the parts store test the battery? Or just charge it? If if they didn't test it, get the battery and alternator tested. Also make sure the battery terminals/cables are clean and tight at both ends of the cables.

114,965

Agree with good wrench. Also inspect cable ends. Older cable ends tend to break or become stretched and not tighten correctly. Also look for corrosion where the cable connects to the cable end connector.

10

They said the battery was gd it appears I have gd connection the lights are bright. no corrosion on cables.

114,965

Ok. Have you tried to jump start it when it's not wanting to start? If not I would try it. It starts with a jump start replace the battery. Parts store told me my battery was good and I fought with starting issues for about a week. Finally replaced battery and all is good now.

10

Yes I tried jumping it too get nothing, what's weird is it ran fine started np killed it and now nothing.my security light doesn't stay on and no warning light.only code I get is po440 but that won't keep it from starting.figure if its the starter it would give me a sign like dragging then go out but when it did start it started right up

10

Wires appear to b in gd shape from what I can see their tight on starter and battery,no corrosion

114,965

Ok. Test the leads at the starter. Is it getting the 12 volt signal to the solenoid from ignition to start? Does the large cable on the starter have 12 volts constant. If so I would remove starter and have it tested. It's probably bad. Before removing it you might want to try the old school tap test. While turning the key to the start position lightly tap on the side of the starter with a hammer. If it then starts replace the starter.

10

K thank you

70,835

Also, when it refuses to start check for power at the large red + terminal on the underhood fuse box. If it's dead there I'd suggest replacing both battery cables. HTH. -Jim

120

Mine sat for about 5 months, would turn over and not start after a charge, popped in a new battery, it fired right up and has been fine since.

10

I've put in new battery starter tested its gd

4,805

The seller told you it had a bad starter. Sounds like you have a bad starter. A fully charged battery can make a bad starter work - sometimes. Tapping on the starter with the key in the 'start' position can make a bad starter work - sometimes. I would replace it.

8,015

"I've put in new battery starter tested its gd" Are you stating the car is fine now, or does it still have problems?

10

Its still doing the same thing as b4 I changed battery,starter and changed around the starter relay still get nothing

10

When I got the car their was a paper w ignition selonoid and key so I figured that's been changed my security light doesn't stay on ppl say if its ignition security light would stay on or flash but neither happens

20

Oh wow. I'm not the only one having these problems. It's so confusing when these mechanics keep bouncing me around with what they think is wrong. :( I knew I should've learned to monkey with cars.