I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix that just started having issues. When the Tach reaches 4000 RPMS the engine cuts out and then revs back up again. It does this over and over at the 4000 RPM point.

Asked by Apr 03, 2013 at 06:03 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

3,240

Does that so the cops can catch you

257,615

But seriously, what is the condition of the spark plugs? Is your GP a turbo model?

3,240

4000 rpm's does sound low for a factory set rpm ignition limiter. But that's what it sounds like. If you said it does that at 5000 I would say that's normal function of computer engine controls. Some parts houses offer a free diagnosis scan, try this it might Answer your question.

70,915

Car manufacturers do that so you won't "blow up" your engine by over reving the engine. The computer won't allow the engine to pass a certain RPM value. HTH. - Jim

3,240

Why do police engines rev higher than that, and don't blow up? Wouldn't they want you to "blow up" your engine then sell you a new one or parts? It is for limiting your top speed.

4,325

Sounds like your rev limiter to me too. As long as it doesn't happen at lower RPMs while you're driving its not likely anything to worry about. I remember the first time I hit the rev limiter (because I didn't know it had one) when I was trying to find the top speed of my Bonneville. Thought I'd blown the engine. We live and learn.

365

This is NOT a rev limiter. the only rev limiter there is on a grand prix is while it is in park. That rev limiter is set to 4k RPM. I cant say definitively what is causing your issue but i promise you that its not some magical rev limiter that these people seem to think exists. I'd start with the fuel system, clean the injectors, change your fuel filter, check any and all vacuum lines on the engine. it sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. and being at a higher rpm it could be a vacuum leak. hope this helps

I think most of you are talking about a governor. It has a seminar affect but it works comes on when you hit a set speed witch could look like a rpm but is not. There isa rpm limiter but it only works when you are in park/neutral.

I own a 2002 pontiac grand prix 40th anniversary edition and yes it does have a rev limiter in park @4000 rpms but it also limits your top end which is easy to remedy, you need to change your chip it costs about 150 to do but it's worth every penny my car revs higher pulls harder and it allowed me to change my pulley on my supercharger so i get 3 extra psi of boost too.