02 Grand Am Cranking but won't Start

30

Asked by Nov 15, 2015 at 07:43 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am

Ok... having starting issues too. In my case, drove the car one day and all the
doors unlocked. The next day, the car wouldn't start. Had it towed. Mechanic
was able to start it fine. He kept it a week and started it every day. Picked it up
and while driving it home all the doors unlocked. Next day... won't start.
Help.... stranded again

30

Just to clarify also... the security light is not blinking. Tried to reset the security system just in case by turning on the key and waiting. Still won't start. Also, mechanic couldn't get it to throw a code. His guess is that it needs a new ignition but I don't want invest that type of money if it is possibly a passlock issue. I have seen others with the same issue, changed the ignition, and still have the same problem. Any suggestions would be great!

8,420

There is a website containing some bypass info for that system. ( berger) something or other. The code is the enhanced type, normally a 1632 when the car has power but wont crank. The bypass is for unable to recognize the key. If your problem is similar it can be of some help. If you have switvh problem, it can be your ign switch. Even your dealer has trouble getting these to act up with enough frequency to make it an exact science. Gm has recalled some of the switches. But they have to be the last word, and consulting them can get you info that can also help. Anybody that works on it is going to need experience to keep from having alot of time in it. Guess fixing is expensive. if you have AAA, tow it to GM every time it does it. then submit paperwork to request assistance with some goodwill about the problem. Otherwise, the bypass could possibly be an answer. I turn them to run, wait till the security light goes out, then, cycle the key and start it when that is their cause. water entry into the floorboard can cause condensation up under the dash, then all bets are off. you have to let the water out, and dry everything and repair affected connections. You would think an enhanced code would be stored? Mechanical breakdown insurance and extended warranties are needed when all these systems are in a car and you keep it past the warranty period.

Well we just got my car from a friend it's a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE it'll turn over but it won't start