Keeps overheating unless under 2000RPMs

Asked by Feb 23, 2010 at 01:01 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Firebird

My 2002 V6 Firebird keeps over heating. Im knocking out parts one at a time. Just replaced the radiator cap and about to change the thermostat. I noticed that there is Rust around the radiator and a green powder by the thermostat casing. I know that green powder is antifreeze and the rust is obviously water. Will i need to spend the money coring my radiator or would it be cheaper to just but a new one?

45

if it keep over heating after all that there is several thing that you could look at make sure the water pump is not bad two the rust you see is the type of anti-freeze that in it the green power stuff is were it has been leaking to buy a rad. is cheaper or about the same money but in the lone run it better to buy new but back to your problem with the type of anti- freeze that in there has not been change in a few years and the anti --freeze is starting to plug up the rad

Ahh. That helps alot. Thanks much.

Above the thermostat casing there is a metal flexable hose. do i need to take this out before i replace the thermostat?

well not taken out, but moved out of the way

7,185

better to buy a new radiator.. i tried having it patched and the cores collapsed. wasted time.

33,985

this is a common problem with the 98-02 f-body overheating. underneath the front bumper there is an air dam that pushes air up across the rad to keep the engine cool while going down the road bc the fan does very little work at anything over 2000rpms. very easy to knock off with a parking curb or a little bit of snow check to see if its there.it should mount to the bottom of the rad core support hope this helps let me kno wut u find