Security light and key switch

10

Asked by Jan 29, 2016 at 08:25 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

10

Security light flashes 7 times won't. Let key go into lock position it would start and stay running but I tried a procedure of turning to on position for 11 min.off 10 seconds 3Times now won't start at all will turn over' '

67,445

Sounds like a two fold problem. First to get the lock cylinder to the lock position so you can remove the key look directly under the ignition lock for a round plastic plug. Remove it to expose a hole. Now insert a small screwdriver or other similar tool into the hole and push up. At the same time turn the key to the lock position and remove the key. Your Grand Prix uses a transponder key. If this is a new key it must be programmed to the car as follows. Start the engine with a working key. Shut off the engine and remove the working key. Immediately insert the key to be programmed and turn the ignition to the run position. Do NOT try to start the engine. Watch the security light on the dash. Within 3 to 5 seconds it should go out. If not, your new key is not a transponder key and it will not work. Once the security light goes out (3 to 5 seconds) turn off the ignition then immediately start the engine with the new key. The new key is now programmed. If you're using the same key as always and it now won't start the car the anti-theft module is no longer recognizing the key. It'll have to be replaced and programmed at your local gm Dealer. The 10 minute relearn procedure will NOT work in this case. This is a common misconception. HTH. -Jim