My 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Steering Wheel Won't Turn. How Can I Fix This?

40

Asked by Jan 01, 2013 at 09:19 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

65,935

Is the ignition locking mechanism in the column jammed or are you saying when the engine is running the wheel won't turn? If the engine is running & the wheel won't turn, check your serpentine belt. If this breaks you'll lose Power assist for the steering. If the lock is jammed try pulling on the steering wheel in either direction while trying to turn the ignition key. HTH. -Jim

40

While the engine is running my steering wheel won't turn. I was driving down the street and it was working fine and it suddenly tightened up. My message board reads check gauges. Still, thank you for your advice I will give it a try.

65,935

You're welcome. Sounds like the serpentine belt broke. This one belt drives all of your accessories including your water pump & alternator. The "check gauges" message came on because the alternator stopped charging. You also don't want to try to drive the car either. Since the water pump is not working without the belt on, your engine will overheat too! HTH. -Jim

96,945

It could be that the shaft that turns the power steering pump broke.

7,025

what is the fluid level in the power steering fluid reservoir ? it is next to a pulley driven by the serpentine belt. is the fluid up to the mark on the cap stick?

90

sounds like a broken serpentine belt

40

Thank You All...The Serpentine Belt Was Broken Because The Water Pump Stop Working.

65,935

You're welcome. Glad to hear you're back on the road again! -Jim

33,635

Check guages light and the battery light are both referred to as the check serpintine belt light...

40

How Much Should The Repair For This Cost?

65,935

To replace the belt, I'd say about $75.00. About $45.00 for the belt then maybe another $30.00 to put it on. That's off the top of my head. Both the price of the belt & labor rates vary. HTH. -Jim

7,025

they are easy to install.. u should try it. if able & use the manual in the glove box for routing it.

65,935

There's usually a sticker somewhere under the hood marked " serpentine belt routing diagram". The only tool you should need is something to pull back the tensioner. Most likely the tensioner will have a square hole on it to insert a ratchet handle. Use that to pull back on the tensioner. HTH. -Jim