Wont start when cold outside

Asked by Sep 02, 2009 at 09:29 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am

I have a 2003 Grand Am with the 2.2 L. When it is cold outside the car will not start. After warming up in the sun the car starts right up and runs fine. Any idea what would be causing this

325

does it start and then stall? you could go to a local auto parts store and have them test the battery for free takes about 10 minutes

not the battery im sure of that and the battery ls less than a year old

325

ok sounds like something wrong with the computer system when your car first starts up the engine enters a closed loop system it guesses how much fuel to give the engine until the sensors warmup and it gives out the exact amount but i have no clue on the problem

10

2 cans of gas line anti freeze may have water in system

10

I have the same problem with same year grand am. We replaced the com and it still will not start when its cold out. Any ideas?

I have a 2003 Grand Am - 2.2 L and when it gets to negative double digits, it won't start. The first time, I had it towed to a garage. The mechanic said once it warmed up, it started fine. Today is the third time this has happened. I know it's not the batter because I bought a new one, just in case. A retired mechanic told me he believes a sensor could be going bad and when it's extremely cold, just won't start and told me about this closed loop thing. I believe he suggested having the crank or cam sensor checked, but I can just see it now - a female enters a shop and says she thinks the crank or cam sensor is bad, they won't listen to me. Guys at work still tell me it's the battery.

Thw only thing the batter does is run the starter. If its cranking good when you turn the key its not the starter.. Once its running the battery just gets charged by the alternator. 3 things to check with any car issue... Ignition... Compression and fuel.. Ive had the same problem use to have to start my car every day or it would not turn on.. It would crank.. Jumped it once for over 20 minutes trying... Did a tuneup in the summer .. New sparkplugs and wires also a fuel filter.. Have not had the issue yet.. Turn the key to on for a few seconds and let the fuel pump run some before you engage the starter.. Helps but wont fix it.. Also some weird reason a fresh oil change helped me with this issue somewhat i noticed with fresh oil it started better somehow so maybe it could be a bad crank sensor or a sensor going out... Also could be the computer you can unplug it from under by the feet compartment passenger side bring it in warm it up and see if that helps.. All trial amd error but of your cars still healthy ide do a tuneup with new plugs amd wires.. Maybe a fuel filter if you havnt done one and help the pump and ignition work better... Also try some fuel enjector cleaner to clean her out some and maybe even higher octane fuel idk if its just the cold weather.. Might also be an issue with the winter blend fuel they use.. But it sounds to me like spark problems when my car wouldnt start for after i killed the battery and had to jump it for 20+ minutes when i cranked it it smelled like unburnt fuel from the exhaust and it would also backfire and missfire.. So most signs are telling me crank shaft position sensor as well!..

If its cranking good its not the BATTERY****** i ment but yes also obviously not the starter.. Sorry didny proof read.. Start with the cheapest repairs first.. And a new sensor isnt going to hurt neither is new plugs wires and a fuel filter should be changed every so often anywho