Car doesn't respond well to gas pedal

Asked by Feb 17, 2016 at 04:08 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

I have my fingers crossed that someone can help me figure out what's going on with my car. I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix that started acting up a few days ago. I have no problem starting my car, but, once I've stopped at a light or sign, and I try to accelerate, my car moves forward slowly and doesn't respond well to my pressing the gas. I have to pump the gas pedal several times to get a reaction. Usually it will hang back and then surge forward (sometimes it doesn't surge until after I have already let off of the gas). My car doesn't idle rough when I'm stopped. It has even cut out on me as I'm driving down the road (dash lights and headlights stay on but steering wheel becomes VERY difficult to turn and gauges drop to 0). When it cuts out on me, I shut it down, wait about a minute and it starts right back up like nothing happened. Engine light is on and throwing code P0107 for Manifold Absolute Pressure/ Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input. With that info, does anyone have any ideas for me?  (BTW oil changed and fuel filter replaced about a month ago. Although I haven't checked my ATF yet)

70

Methinks it's the coil. Your car sounds just like my 98 Civic before she died and had to have a new coil put in. Coils are necessary to distribute the power evenly to the car. Your car won't get out of it's own way (like mine did) when not enough power available to engine. The fact it starts right up after sitting a few minutes sounds like my Cavalier back in the early 1990's that would do just that until I replaced the coil....... my tranny in the 98 civic would also give me fits until coil was changed.

Thanks for the advice. Would a faulty coil really throw a P0107 code? or do you think the two are unrelated?

70

My car didn't throw any code when it had the coil start to die and then died.....no check engine light came on either. The power just kept getting weaker and weaker to the point where I wanted to get out and push her up a hill!!!! and the tranny kept taking forever to shift up or down. Just general loss of power. I don't think the code has anything to do with the coil problem. I almost took her to a tranny shop to get the tranny fixed, She did this for about 2 weeks doing short trips before she died on me.

4,075

Pursue the code first before you start randomly replacing parts on the advice of someone online who has never even seen your car. The car saves those codes for a reason and that reason is to guide you in maintaining your car. Start there.