Car problems with reduced engine power

Asked by Jan 09, 2016 at 11:59 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

Supposedly my car has terrible oil leaks
that require the entire engine to be
resealed. The car only rlly leaked a little bit
in the fall. But just today I got the reduced
engine power message. The acceleration
doesn't work anymore. The car starts and I
can shift into reverse or drive but I can give
any gas to speed up. Any explanations for
this would be appreciated!

19,200

As far as the oil leak is concerned change oil and add Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak. No promises that it is going to work but it is worth a try. Now for the no acceleration check air filter and replace if necessary clean throttle with throttle body cleaner replace fuel filter add fuel injector cleaner to gas tank.

4,075

Call a GM dealer and see if there is a recall out for leaky gaskets on your car. I got a notice recently and they are recalling my '03 for the second time to address that issue. The dealer can check your vin and if there's a recall you'll get it done for free. As for the car being in limp mode (reduced engine power), none of the things suggested by firebird would cause that to happen (sorry firebird). There is something more serious wrong with your car, something that could do it damage if you continued running it at normal power. First check your oil to make sure its not super low. That could possibly trigger it. If that's not it you need to limp it to a shop and have the codes read to see what is going on.

Best Answer
4,965

As "munron" said, immediately check your oil level and correct if low.

Yea sadly that wasn't the problem. The car starts and goes in reverse and drive but the acceleration just doesn't do anythin.

4,075

And its not going to do anything because its in reduced power mode because there is some other problem that has to be diagnosed. It's not necessarily something expensive, but its not going to fix itself. Next step, read the codes and find out what the car is telling you.