Fuel or Electrical Problem?? I NEED HELP!!!

55

Asked by Dec 18, 2014 at 06:06 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am

Car has been down almost 2 weeks now. Turns over and will start sometimes and as long as it stays warm. Once engine cools down it will not crank again. Ive had Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump and Fuel Pressure Regulator replaced , however my mechanic is still " stumped" on whats wrong.I have suggested Coolant Temp Sensor, Spark Plugs, Fuel Injectors and new battery( maybe not enough cold cranking amps)...but he is eminent that's its a Fuel Flow issue. I'am on the edge of loosing it because I'm feeling that it may not be a fuel issue. Any suggestions??

11,205

It sounds like the fuel system has been replaced. Not sure what else your mechanic is looking for. Was there a fuel pressure test performed? It should read 52-59 psi with the key on, engine off.

5,225

"Crank" to me sounds more like an electrical problem not fuel delivery. If we were talking about not starting, then it would be fuel delivery or ignition.

430

Fuel pump relay

55

Mark, My mechanic feels there is something wrong with a fuel line, but where is the problem. He feels that bc my engine light is not on that there is not a electrical issue. He also used his tester for that and reported to me that there was no readings at all. I believe he did test the fuel pressure, but not sure on the PSI's.....ytlas, Guess its a " Crank/Starting " issue all together. Example: after fuel pump and filter was replaced last Tuesday I was able to drive it twice that morning and afternoon. However, it wouldn't crank the next morning when I was headed to work. Turns over, but wont start. Mechanic came back out on Wednesday morning and he's been brainstorming ever since. I made my suggestions that it could be something electrical, but he is eminent that its not.

5,225

Since your mechanic uses a "Tester' has he checked resistance on the coil and plug wires? Plug wires are carbon core so they degrade over time and moisture can set it and cause starting problems.... That would be a possibility of the car starting when still warm and not cold, but would only be a part of the problem. A malfunctioning coil might still work once in a while before completely dying...