Constant drip Coolant leak on passenger side of engine, can see coolant but is beading off skid plate under car about even with passenger tire

110

Asked by Nov 27, 2015 at 03:05 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

292,915

Sounds like your water pump is leaking since it is on that side, but also could be a gasket or hose. You have to do some investigation.

110

Heat blows cold also, get small spurts of heat when up to speed it seems

110

I've got it up on stands but still can't get direct sight to a leak

110

Leaks more when car is on also, looking in from the passenger side can see pooled dex-cool looking in between the crank shaft and A/C more so underneath and below the engine/crank shaft

292,915

There is usually a weep hole on the bottom side of the water pump shaft, look there. No heat would mean your low on coolant from the leak.

3,725

On my 06 Grand Prix, I had the same problem. It ended up being the heater hose bypass elbows. They're made of brittle plastic and like to crack. I replaced them with Aluminum ones. You have to remove the alternator and idler pulley to get to them. The reason your heat isn't working is probably due to low coolant.

5,065

Dorian is right. Regardless of what else you find you need to get those elbows replaced. They all fail sooner or later and when one blows it will leave you stranded on the side of the road. They are cheap and relatively easy to do, and while you're in there you'll probably find the source of the leak if its not the elbows. Be sure to properly bleed the cooling system when you refill it or you'll still have overheating problems and intermittent heat.

765

Sounds like a leaking heater core to me.

25

how long can i wait to fix t i just bought and grand prix gt seeing the same issue but really don't have the money to fix it right away

3,725

If you fix it yourself, it can be done for less than $20.

Awesome info thank you!

10

My Pontiac Grand Prix 2000 model 3800 water is pouring out as fast I I pour it in right under the center of the engine on passenger side but looks like it is coming right in the middle caint see becouse the water pump and belts are in the way

5,065

Probably the plastic elbows tha go to the heater. It’s a cheap and relatively easy fix.

10

Mines not the elbows, hose,pump,or manafold gasket.... because that's all new.....pos

5,065

Possibly a gasket leak then. The intake gasket is known to break down and fail and of course the water pump gasket is a possibility as well. If its a relatively minor leak there's a good chance you can seal it off with Bars Leak. My car took two applications, but it sealed mine up nicely at least 5 years ago and saved me the time and expense of taking the top of my engine apart. It's a GM approved repair method and won't hurt your engine regardless of what you may have read online.

I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am and it's leaking antifreeze and it just started overheating a couple nights ago and when I poured stuff into it it was just pouring out is there a way I can seal it until I can get the money to fix it

5,065

No. If it’s leaking that bad you need to park it until you can fix it. Sounds like the plastic elbows that go to the heater core, but that’s just a guess. Not a big repair if that’s what it is though. But do not drive it until repaired!