Car shudders on acceleration

40

Asked by Aug 06, 2012 at 07:09 PM about the 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager

When accelerating at higher speeds (over 50) the car starts to shudder, in direct proportion to the amount of gas I give it. If it take my foot off the gas, the shudder stops. Just easing up and maintaining speed the shudder stops. No shudder at all going even 75  downhill with no acceleration.
I replaced engine mounts. No change. New air filter, breather and PCV, no change. Rebuilt transmission with 30,000 on it. Thoughts?

222,475

Maybe a faulty ignition coil?

40

I don't understand why that would be only on acceleration.

222,475

It could be starting to go but not fail, but your right, it might not be. I'm just trying to come up with some solutions to look into. Another solution is maybe you have a clogged cataytic convertor, not being able to go over a certain rpm, like 3000 is an indication and the cats glow red. DId you replace the trans mount and at any point did you have a mechinic diagnose the issue yet?

1,045

Could also be a broken motor mount.

40

I researched more and determined it most likely to be CV joint or half-axle. Took it in, repair made, problem gone. Thanks for the ideas.