Losing power and acts as though it is going into neutral?

20

Asked by Dec 05, 2014 at 08:58 PM about the 1997 Plymouth Breeze

I have a 1997 Plymouth breeze that i bought this summer. I have had no problems with it
tell it started to get cold out. I drove it to school one day and then on my way home i was
driving down the road and it almost seemed like it went in to neutral. the engine revved up
and didn't move but it would jolt and then move for a ways and do it again. It also has
picked up a weird whistling nose.

16,630

Check your transmission fluid level if it's low fill it to the proper level while the engine is running. Then look for the leak. If the fluid is not red like cherry kool-aid then it's time for a transmission flush.

20

The level is good and the color is nice and red that was the first thing i looked at. I was told by a friend that i might need to change the transmission filter. But would that cause it to be making the strange whistling nose?

16,630

Sounds more like a torque converter problem or valve body. Those could also create the noise.

20

had a friend look at it and he is thinking that it may not be save able because it is showing a lot of codes for the transmission. Do you think it would pay to put $150 in to this car to see if it works? if not should i just scrap it?

16,630

Oh you have a lot of codes, then its time for a rebuild, junkyard, or scrap the car. No offense but the car is not worth a whole lot I would just let the car go.

20

Put a new tran filter in it and all the codes are gone and it runs now better than it ever has. Still dont know how long its going to last but im going to start saving up some money so i can buy a new car but for now im going to drive this one tell it drops.