99 Plymouth van won't turn over on first try

Asked by Dec 05, 2010 at 02:20 AM about the 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager

My 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a 3.3L will not start until I have turned the key several times.  I can hear a clicking sound from under the hood.  I have changed the battery and cleaned the connections.  I changed the starter relay with no luck.  This seems to only happen after it has sat for several hours.
Any ideas?

1,085

Sounds like it is the starter itself the way you describe it. Bad solenoid on the starter. Change the starter would be my advice based on your description.

I didn't realize the solenoid was part of the starter. No wonder I couldn't locate one at an online parts store. Thank you for the reply.