has anyone had an issue with liquid spilling from a beverage in the cup holder which audi engineered right next to the MMI...I have and although my dealer agreed that this is a poor design....Audi and the dealer refuse to share the cost of this $1,000 repair

35

Asked by Sep 04, 2007 at 05:55 PM about the 2005 Audi A6

I recently experienced an issue with my 2005 A6.  I continually received an error indicating that my emergency brake was not functioning properly.  Also, I noticed that some, but not all, of my MMI functionality was not working.   When I took my car in for service to Len Stoler Audi in Owings Mills, Maryland I was advised by the service manager that when the mechanic reviewed the mother board for the MMI, he noticed that a dark liquid had been spilled and dried on the MMI.   I said that is most likely, when a coffee is in the Audi cup holder and one has to apply the brakes in an emergency situation.  The dealer agreed with me that placing a cup holder next to the mother board for the MMI was poor engineering on Audi's part, but said there was nothing they could do.  They recommended I call Audi customer service.   UGHHHHHHHHHH...I have had NO luck with Audi customer service in the past, but that is another issue.  Upon calling customer service for this issue, I was told by Oscar that he is really sorry, but there is nothing he could do.  I then went back to the dealership to speak with the assistant GM who then confirmed there was nothing she could do.  I said this is rediculous as this incident is directly related to Audi's poor design.  She agreed and said it is common practice for auto manufacturers to release new models of their cars only to have their customers identify and pay for design issues.  She mentioned that she previously worked at Honda and said this was certainly the case there.  I indicated to her that I leased ($720 per month) an Audi because of the warranty and the hopefully superior design of their cars.  Hondas cost a fraction of what Audis cost....on so many counts I have hoped for better service from the dealer and the manufacturer.  

14,755

Hi mkutrik, While this does sound like it's a true design flaw I can find no documented issues related to the MMI and the spilling of fluids. Sorry! Good luck!

2,595

This is the Germans way of getting back at us for the U.S. Market wanting cup holders in our cars.The Germans absolutely do not believe in drinking ,eating,conversing ,breathing heavily or having bodily functions while driving.As driving is such a privilege in the fatherland,these are not to be taken lightly.Zo you vant cup holters

2,595

VE SHALL GIFF YOU CUP HOLTERS YA,Zey do not haff tobe very funktional or practical for you amerikaners.I can not tell you how many radios and climate control heads that I have replaced. Because of this mentality,ugh!

100,075

They are still a problem with the 2013 A6. They are too small and crush Styrofoam cups causing leaks into the console. Check in at Audiworld.com and Audizine.com for tips on the care and feeding of your A6.

10

Happend to mine too. Mmi knob wont tune in stations or move cursor on screen. Background lights dont work either. This car is the biggest pos ive ever owned. abs control module is 2k ???? So now I have no abs or stability control. Cant find them used either. Never ever buy a German car without a warranty. German engineering my ass. Its a joke. Ill take a Japanese car any day. My 1990 benz had no cupholders cuz like u said they dont believe we should be drinking coffee and driving? Screw them and they can keep their overrated junk cars

10

New my car was 48,000 new with all the options. 10 years later its worth about 5k. Now thats really holding its value. Wow. Now u know why u can get a used Audi for close to nothing. Dont buy used period!!! Volkswagons with a different emblem

10

Oil changes 125 bucks. Go on Audi forums and read about the 10 million problems with them. Lose a smart key? 200 bucks for key and program. Junkkkkk. Get a 1990 or older Benz if u want a good german car.

10

I wish mine would burst into flames cuz its basically worthless with all the problems. Cant sell it or afford to fix it