Car Struggles to Accelerate

Asked by Sep 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM about the 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Hello,

I'm not very smart when it comes to cars so I'm going to provide as much information as possible with my question. Here goes..

My car struggles to accelerate even when I have the gas pedal down to the floor.
My vehicle is a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera with 85k miles.
I recently took it to a mechanic because I had them look at an issue with the car not starting which since then has been fixed.
I had them do a diagnostic check as well and they informed me that theres oil leaking to the spark plugs I believe.
Would this be the problem? Like I said I have no idea when it comes to cars, any help would be appreciated.
If you need any more information about anything I'll try my best to help with that as well.

Thanks!

145

Fouled spark plugs would effect acceleration. Oil usually comes from worn valve guides, rings, or a bad head gasket. 85k is fairly low for a 1993, but there are many factors to consider such as frequency of oil changes, driving habits etc. Do you check your oil on a regular basis? Do you have to keep adding oil? My first guess would of been a restricted exhaust, cars of that age often have clogged or damaged catalytic converters. The best advice I can offer is get a second opinion. If you can pull one spark plug and examine it (lots of images and information on the web to make comparisons) you'll be one step ahead. best of luck!

Best Answer Mark helpful

Could also be the coil packs. Plug wires. Highly doubtful that it's blow- by but like RMJ11949 said. Get a second opinion..

Even the fuel filter can cause this..

Thanks for the replies. I recently had an oil change maybe 3 months ago, I do not have to keep adding oil. To my knowledge anyways. i'm a fairly good driver, never been in any accidents and I don't beat it up either. I'm not sure about the catalytic converter but I got it without a muffler and the tube piece that connects to the muffler fell off a few months back.

If it were the Cat.Converter. it would shut down instantly.. Good luck with it. I'm sure it's electrical as stated above..

I appreciate the help you two, thanks a bunch.

Have a good day..