My 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme now won't run. It starts, but as soon as I gas it it sputters and dies. Some black smoke came out of bottom. It was running great before. Oil was low but i filled it

Asked by Dec 03, 2013 at 08:35 PM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

My Mom's old convertible, was having problems when I would start in morning, once I
put in drive it would take awhile before it would move but once I was on the road ran
great. Now in traffic the engine fan wasn't kicking in so it would start to heat up. Now it
starts but as soon as I gas it or put into drive it dies. Also noticed a little black smoke
coming out of bottom. Mom took really good care of it. It ran great on highway or
freeway. Drove around block yesterday and it stalled twice. Now won't move. Noticed
the oil was low and put in three quarts. But still nothing. Help me please

okay, did mom's complain about excessive oil consumption? how many miles are on this me a favor and get your hands on an OBD-II code reader and tell us what that one says....already have my suspicions but do not want to look like an ass if they're proven wrong~

You will need a NEW battery...1995 is more than five years ago...battery marginal...weak...clean the black cable that attaches to the frame there...with a wirebrush...the lug and the territory where you removed the lug from to restore 300 cold cranking amps potential~

Hey thanks for the help, I believe Mom had changed the battery but I don't know. It has 141, 350 miles on it. Is black smoke serious? Yikes! If I left it in driveway more than two days it would have problems getting into drive gear. Is that a low battery symptom? Ok, well I will check all the things you all said. I'm trying to sell the damn thing and now it breaks down. Geeezzz.

well the battery not only serves the startermotor, but the fuel injection and the ignition as well and the ECU will not serve you well if served "brown power" varying voltages and varying available amperages makes the brain unhappy...but this is NOT the cause...I'd change the PCV (positive crankcase ventillation) elbow about 4-6 bucks~___ me+PCV+valve

this one gets clobbered up with "OIL muck" and will not share to the intake plenum...crankcase pressure builds and the oil has no where to go except out the valve covers...starts drippin onto the exhaust manifold then the smoke begins~

the inability to get into drive is the result of a misalignement caused by the motor/transmission mounts....the rubber eaten away by time....gerbils~ (just kiddin'...sheesh) it may be one or more of these mounts shown...YOU are going to have to inspect, by using a woodblock and floorjack...put it under the pan and pump till crunch~ you'll know where the rotten rubber is~ mount

Wow, that sounds about right! I have no idea what it all means but thats what it looks like. Ok gonna look into it. it.

Thank you all of you! Really helpful! Being a girl I have no idea about cars and my husband is English so he only knows a little about American cars...ha ha. This car is in great cosmetic condition and can not believe right when I was gonna sell it, starts to act up. Bummer.

if you had some carburetor cleaner you could blast your PCV valve until it has a "maraca" rattling when you rattle it~ this is a one-way street for the oil- smoke to get sucked into the intake plenum~ bad moo joo when it get's plugged...honestly 142,000 is the right amount...HANG ONTO this convertible~

Great Britain has at least 30 (THREE ZERO) automakers...America has three~ they've got plenty of practice with cars...stubborn about the right- hand drive...tho~ they really are kinda the same as they all empoy the same needed functions (for four stroke engines) the smelly two strokes, like the east german Trabant and the French 2CV and most soviet makes are far less refined and'v egot to mix-oilNgas together...smellllEEE~

bet your gentlman friend would like to own a Chaterham~ the fastest creature around the TOP GEAR track~....and get away for the prisoner KAR-123~

also known as the LOTUS 7, you have to pick the wheels and accouterments when you order one~

you gotta KEEP THIS car...convertibles are awesome~

I agree with judge_roy. They are awesome cars and being a convertible makes it better yet. Having said that they all seem to have big time issues with engine gaskets/seals, rear suspension and accessories. Those issues begin to show up around this mileage if they haven't already. Be prepared to spend some serious money on this car to keep it up and running. Good luck.

Well thanks I don't want to keep it want to sell it so hopefully can fix whatever the problem is and say bye bye!

I understand. In that case, do the bare minimum to get it running half decently, make sure its squeaky clean inside and out and take the first half decent offer that comes your way. If it is borderline to needing major work, which it might be, the longer you keep it and drive it the more likely you are to be the one who has to make those repairs.

Excessive fuel, weak spark,or emission component. Be nice to see what the emission chart shows on this one. It would pin point the problem right away, if you know how to read it.

Tanya Stiles

I have a 91 0lds cutlass supreme convertible with 66,000 miles, white on white, factory paint, no rust, great condition for sale. it can be seen on craiglist in hickory nc, or just cal my husband @ 828 320-0050 for more info