what should the temperture gauge read for normal temp

35

Asked by Jun 21, 2008 at 04:32 PM about the 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora

right now my car temperture gauge is staying at the next line up from the middle line i change my thermostat and flushed my raiotor and replaced all my hoses it only overheated one time but thats when i took it on the highway i was going about 135mph when my lower radiotor hose pushed off

8,285

What did it sit at before you blew the hose off? That's not incredibly high so that may be within normal... Hopefully someone who's owned one can say for sure Or you may have some air trapped in the system...Let it idle with the radiator cap off for awhile to let the system work some of the air out... If you blew the bottom hose of I guarantee you pulled air in, question is did you get it all out. Other than that, don't be an idiot track passes are fairly cheap, and you don't have to worry about shearing a wheel off on a pothole.

325

First gen. Aurora's are great cars. The temperature reading sounds normal. As those cars get older they do start to run hotter than new, particularly when idling the temp. will shot up rapidly. But Adam Morgan is right, you probably had air in the system, like with brake lines, you need to purge the system anytime you flush, have a significant leak, or add a considerable amount of coolant/water to the system.

95

Depending on the degree of the thermostat you have, that rating of it is the designed temperature for you engine to run at. For example, an engine with a 195 degree thermostat is designed to run at about that temperature.

275

its at the normal temp it should stay about 200 unless idleing then it would go up to about 235 before the fans kick on to cool it down. belive me i drive one every day. also apart of the aurora club or north america (acna) you should come check it out.

190

my car runs at the line above the 200 is that normal ???

80

My is my 2001 Aurora running hot new thermostat new bottom hose on lower radiator but fans don't come on

200

so im having a little trouble myself with mu 1999 aurora, ive replaced the fuses and relays for my radiator fans. and when i am driving faster than 30 mph my coolant is a steady 195 degrees, after i stop and idle for a bit it will jump to 225 degrees, and if i turn the car off, wait a few minutes and start it up again it will be at 225 degrees until i start moving again...is this normal? it doesn't make any noises and im not loosing any coolant so its not a gasket, i just wish my radiator fans would kick in to keep the motor from spiking degrees, i dont want my heads to warp from the constant heat up and cool down from the mototr, i live in 95 degree humid weather, i really need an answer, are my fans supposed to turn on???

20

I have a 99 Pontiac Grand Am SE when I start the car the temperature gauge climb to 200° within 10mins, what could be causing this? The head & intake gaskets are cracked & need to be replaced. The car also turns off while driving& will not start for about 20mins, & the door ajar beeping will go off while driving and the ABS, battery and airbag dash lights come on. Once you turn the car off and back on the lights go off. Can someone give me some advice?