My passenger side power window won't work, all of a sudden. Any ideas?

Jon Lucas

Asked by Jan 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette

My wife tried to roll it up from the driver's side, but it would only power down. Never had a problem with that window before, but there have been other strange electrical problems. Lights, alarm, one door lock working intermittently. I tried unplugging and examining the switches and connections to the window motor, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, looking for blown fuses and manually pushing the window back up. No luck. Of course, its going to thunderstorm like crazy tonight.

That is strange. It's probably something with the switch. The same wires and motor that roll the window down are used to roll it back up. They just switch the polarity to the motor. To get the window up before the rain starts, try jumpering the wires at the switch connector. The only other possibility I can think of is that the window has come off the track.

Jon Lucas

not off the track. The thing is, she rolled it down from her side, but couldn't get it back up. The switch on my side behaved the same way. It would go down, but not up. Couldn't be both switches. I'm thinking it must be at the motor.

It's the same motor for up and down. Maybe somethings hanging up if it has gears.

these switches are cheapy and self-destruct easily with only bent sheetmetal pins holding them together. Brutilze once, (like stompin' on it with a drunken foot) and will not do what it's told anymore. Replace the switch!

Jon Lucas

But both switches? They both do the same thing. Down but not up. We both rolled it down a little at a time but neither switch could roll it up. No sound or attempt of the motor to operate back up. I've had this van for 6 months and it has some weird electrical issues. I think I have a bad ground or failing voltage regulator or something.

the wiring diagram will show that contradictory instructions do nothing. Switch is partially disassembled yielding unsatisfactory performance.

Best Answer
Jon Lucas

Well, looks like you guys were right. I pulled the switch out and when I connected the driver's side switch to the passenger's side connector I was able to raise the window. The drivers side switch can normally control both windows . When I moved it to the other side, I had to toggle both buttons up in order to engage the window motor. I'll start checking junk yards tomorrow to see if I can find a new switch to put in.

or take a channel locks and squeeze it back together, say a little prayer and put it back together.

If I put my windows down I have to drive and hit potholes and it goes up a little after every bump.

contacts are touchy, either replace that switch or attempt further surgery on the switch...sound like contact is making too easily...guess you could get in there and bend the contacts further away...a little....goodluck!

BlueZero - if that is a problem, start a new thread. Piggy backing on a month old thread doesn't work as well.

my windows don't work neither up or down and i have to lock each door individually. what should i do please help ???!

my passenger and driver side windows don't work at all (up or down). the locks also don't work right i have to lock each individually.

Check the child-lock switch.

(regarding passengerside windows malfunction)

Matthew Garcia

So what exactly was the problem my durango passenger window goes down but not back up and driver dr and passenger dr switches for that window do the same down and no going up

I have a 1998 olds silhouette, had problem,drivers window goes down not up. Passenger window works fine. I moved both child safety locks on both sliding side doors. Went to use switch on drivers door mad a noise I tapped the panel drivers side window went up.

My passenger side window rolled down last night and wouldnt roll back up we thought it was the motor or switch but neither worked so we took the driver side off and it wasnt even hooked up, we plugged it in and it started working so before u buy & replace anything check driver side first