My car ran outta gas then I filled it, now it won't start. I added gas into the air filter and it stars but turns right off again. What could be causing it to not work?

10

Asked by Dec 14, 2015 at 11:23 PM about the 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue

87,065

The most probable cause is the fuel pump burned up running it out of fuel, the fuel pumps use the fuel as a coolant, so when you run less than a 1/4 tank of fuel you are dropping the fuel level away from the pump causing it to overheat and seize up. You can try banging on the bottom of the fuel tank while someone turns it over, sometimes this will cause them to work but not for long, so if it does start get to where you are going to fix it cause once you shut it off that is most likely where it will sit. HTH

6,255

You could have burned up the pump by running it dry or and or blown the fuel pump fuse.

6,255

tennisshoes we must have been typing at the same time.

10

Where to find fuel pump and How to remove it?

87,065

Siphon out as much fuel from the fuel tank drop fuel tank enough to gain access to the hold down ring on the fuel pump assembly and remove assembly, replace pump and strainer or if avaliable replace the entire unit, reinstall fuel tank and put the fuel back in, replace the fuel filter, cycle the key at least 3 times, on for 2 seconds then off for 5 seconds, after that the engine should start and run.

10

I shall give it a try and if i don't succeed i will come back and ask. Thank you very much.

87,065

Yes please do if you have any questions.

10

Fuel Pump also check Fuse & fuel pump relay if pump need changer replace fuel filter but first disconnect battery cable buy use a good repair manual not be a smart $$%%^ but it help .