My car was in gear but wouldn't move - diagnosed as as bad compressor - replaced - what does a/c have to do with the car being able to run?

Asked by May 02, 2014 at 04:40 PM about the 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue

83,085

Nothing, the only thing that could have any relation is if the compressor totally seized, but then you could just install a bypass kit for the belt and be on your way, of course the A/C will no longer work.

Is there a compressor and tensioner belt associated with the emissions system?

83,085

Not on a stock unit.

So I guess I got taken

1,315

Not necessarily. my mother's intrigue has thrown a check engine light. it also will not shit ininto gear once in a while. After scanning car it said "air injection malfunction". I looked it up and the car has these stupid compressors that inject fresh air into theexhaust system to activate the catalytic converter sooner for emissions purposes.the compressor is part of the evap system and I havent checked into it yet but that could potentially cause driveability issues. did they specifically say A/ C compressor or did they just say "compressor"?

They said compressor and tensioner belt. The parts were about $450 and the labor $350

445

dosnt make any sense. if seized ac compressor either, not allow the engine to start, or melt/break the belt. You are describing a transmission problem (like maybe a front pump) And the air pump is part of the A.I.R. system, nothing to do with driveability issues. Even if it was part of evap system, would never cause this problem. Some A.I.R system are closely integrated into the EGR system (share same passages in the cylinder head) (Like benz engines of late 90s up to late 00's) but still would not cause this problem. To start an engine, put in gear and not move forward can be 99 things, but a ac compressor aint 1.

1,315

Of course A/C compressor wouldnt cause it thats why I asked if they specifically said A/C or just "compressor". I didnt even know air compressors like the one I described existed in any vehicle. i was just throwing it out there since i just discovered it myself. Nothing about a belt was mentioned in the question either, and im referring to driveability as the ability for the car to be driven, so appologies.

445

I probably sounded like a dick, not my intentions, just wanted to clear up some misinformation. and yes air pumps exist on many vehicles, benz been doin it since the 80's and think its pretty standard emission controlling device on cars 2000+