Do I have enough oil?

165

Asked by Aug 22, 2016 at 02:31 PM about the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero

I have a 2002 Alero. When I bought it there was a strange oil stick clearly not a stock stick and I had a hard time reading it as well as having difficulty removing and returning the stick. I replaced the stick however I still have the same problem. I felt like I may not have enough oil because the stick seemed dry every time I checked my oil. I do not have any obvious leaks. I took it in for an oil change when they were done I asked if my oil was low they said no but that it was strange they also didn't get anything from the stick when they checked it so they just continued to add oil until the stick was showing full. It seemed fine after that for at least a month but I right back to not being able to read the stick and I don't understand how I could be using that much oil without a leak. I really don't drive much or very far so why does seem to use so much oil? I know the dangers of both over filling and under filling the oil. I should mention its a manual trans.

275,135

I'd take your car to a good mechanic or dealership and make sure you have the correct engine oil dipstick. Then you can determine if you have the correct amount of oil in the engine. Your engine can be just burning the oil due to worn valve seals and piston rings. One quart every 3000 miles is quite common on high mileage cars.

75,595

In addition to what Tom said check rockauto.com for the correct dipstick. I got one for my '00 Grand Prix from them when I first bought the car. HTH. -Jim