sr20det swap

35

Asked by Mar 25, 2008 at 09:48 PM about the 1990 Nissan 240SX

does any one know how much an sr20det swap goes for?

6,485

I would get a hold of a Nissan forum on the net and ask there, as you would of had a few members who have already done this. Best of luck

45

A motorset should run you somewhere around 2000 depending on who you go through and the quality of the engine. Install will cost about as much as a replacing a blown engine with another stock engine, since it uses the same mounts etc. I'd suggest looking around locally.

35

lets see, where do i start??? hah paid 2200 for a complete motor and tranny, uncut wiring harness, ECU, MAF, and ignitor chip. not a bad price. then since i'm doing it myself...chances are your motor mounts are damn near rotted away, gotta get new ones ($100-$250). then you're gonna need better fuel pressure, another $100 for a fuel pump. then you'll need an sr20det radiator ($100-1000). plus hoses and an intake for the turbo, then an intercooler, side mount(stock SMIC) runs prolly 100-300 (idk), or front mount (aftermarket FMIC) goes anywhere from 300 to 2000 (most of the stuff you will buy should be in the lower prices by the way, the high prices are mostly for very high horsepower and torque ratings and you dont want to buy a bigger turbo and mess with internals this soon, its unnecessary). ok now lets see, thats pretty much all of it. so far for me, i've laid down 6000 and it should be running in a week (total includes car, motor, and tons of aftermarket shit). i'm lookin for at least 225 horse 210 torque. those are just predictions that i think are easy to beat considering what i performance upgrades i have chosen. (SECRET!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA) goodnight.

35

oh, and i've HEARD that the stock 240 exhaust bolts up to the sr20det but i dont believe it does, you'll need a downpipe (50-300) a catalytic converter (50-100) or a test pipe (50-100) (same as cat. converter just a straight thru pipe, no obstruction of exhaust flow). then you'll need a cat back exhaust system, this is where i believe you can connect the stock exhaust but if you wanna get aftermarket its gonna be from 300 to 2000. you'll wanna get some gaskets too and possibly a turbo outlet pipe, because my stock one that came with the sr20 motor was damaged by shipping and they are from 50 to 250. oh and the wiring is a BIT$% but there are places online that can help you out just figure out how to solder of at least be able to use connectors very well. i did the connectors myself cause soldering is just like wiring.....a BIT&$ GOOD LUCK! =)

5

since you have a 1990, your going to need the power steering lines and reservior from a 1991 to 1994, and not sure if any one mentioned a fuel pump, but a walbro 255 works great

480

I would build a KA-T.....just as good as the SR20 without all the hype. Start with what you already have, and do the research and you will be amazed with what you will find.

15

I'm gonna have to disagree with sean about the KA24. Those things can't handle turbos unless you do some major internal work. passwordjdm.com has the silvia front clip that includes the red top sr20 for $2100, and they also have the s13 black top front clip for $2400(that's the one to buy). I'm pretty sure you have to get a different engine cradle ( i know you do for the FWD SR if youre doing a swap in a sentra, bluebird, sunny, etc. like anybody has those anyway). Just be ready to run back and forth to either Advance Auto Parts or your computer. Some parts are hard to find for it

145

ka-t.org has had about 6 people who (just to test it) have gotten ~540 horse out of a stock bottom end KA with a turbo setup on it. now thats not the way to do it if you want it to last, but they have several members running close to 320 horse on stock bottom end and have been doing so for a few years daily driving them. i personally would upgrade everything though, just to be safe.

15

I believe it, I've just always heard that KA's are shit and if you want boost in an s13, SR20DET is the way to go.

145

just sayin that isnt always true. for 600 bucks and no bottom end rebuild, a KA can match an sr for power all day long.

15

how would they spend only $600 without fuel issues? i good set of injectors is at least $300-$700 alone. or are you just saying in general, no turbo?

145

find a junkyard turbo with no shaft play, apexi safc, the mani / intercooler / piping/ blowoff/ exhaust and a tune / preprogrammed ecu. a friend of mine has an s14 with a ka-t pushing 230hp and he spent 675 dollars.

15

Damn. That's quite a bargain...but the question is....does he fuel cut?

145

like a fuel cutoff limiter? as far as i know the ecu( think hes got a jim wolf tuned one) has a rev limiter at 7k and no top speed fuel cutoff. never seen him do any crazy top speed crap on the highway anyways.

15

no, too much air, not enough gas in the cylinder. i've had several friends turbo their civics stock, and when they get to about 5k, it sounds like it's redlining really hard. like the revs start jumping really bad. they'll lose to stock d series civics in seconds. when you run hard boost you have to upgrade the fuel system (injectors, fuel rail, and fuel pump) to prevent this.

145

he isnt running mad boost, hes running ~ 8 psi with a solid tune. not even close to detonating anywhere in the rpm band.

15

damn, he's getting 230 from 8 psi? he's a genius. i have a friend who just put an SR20DET in his sentra and he's only pushing about 210, but in the sentra, that's more than enough.

145

its not all that hard to believe. the ka makes 150 at the crank stock.(the 230hp was a motor estimation, dyno sheet showed 206hp - just to clarify) Average turbo installs should give ya 100 horse or so. the jwt tune helps alot.

45

im sorry but i have a KA-T, I didn't do any bottom end work at all! I am running 8 psi and it does just fine outrunning as sr20! I am running 8 psi on a FULLY STOCK KA... would you rather put turbo on a 2.0 L or 2.4 L?? I would say 2.4!

85

depends on the build. ur 2.4 runs higher compression pistons. bigger chance of blowing your motor. i got a SR20 fully tuned and i love it.

15

I would Rather have the SR but I will agree with you in every way that the ka can out do the sr if built right, but keep one thing in mind the ka is all cast iron block and weighs a crap loud so when you start and more parts like turbo, and all this othe stuff your just making the car heavier, most people go with the sr because it is light weight and alot easier to find build parts for if need, but of course I have 3 240SX , One KA-T, One SR20DET, and my last one is powered by the beast of all motors the nissan skyline RB26DETT.

25

i would go Ka-T sr means super rice there ok motors and stong til run them pretty hard build the Ka or go Rb. RB-Race Breed But rb is kinda expensive ya know

5

sr - super rice, why dont u just stick with civics

25

That is True I had a sr20det before is a 89 240. but i threw a rod probly my fault but ya a ka might have high compression but if built right and then tuned right the ka is a lot stronger than the sr. Not to bring down Sr lovers because i loved mine til i blew it then my ka in my s14 its not turbo but its very strong i have 190,xxx miles on it and when i bought it it had 130,xxx on it and it still runs like the day i bought it ill get back to every one when i build my motor goodtimes Mike

25

i'm gonna have to call your bull shit password jdm... jdm ka it usdm they dont know shit Ka motors are bad ass but yet your talking fwd i got a rwd ka kinda diff. i have a ka that tears up sr motors running under 8 lbs. and my motor has 190,000 miles on it sorry to tell ya this but ka kick ass

35

between 1200 and 3500 if you go with newer blacktop sr20vet!

135

I am wondering why you shit on the SR so much the motor is set up very well from the factory just because you blew a rod doesn't mean it's a bad motor or that the KA is better. Motors will blow I have blown 2 Qr25DE motors and one SR20DE they have a few issues rod knock is one of them. The bottom line SR > KA ... its a truck motor anyway

25

yea i hear you they are good i just have had bad luck with em and i have not any problems with my ka just my opinion ya know

2,975

why dont you just go all out and find a rb25det engine or better yet a rb26dett that would be the sickest set up compared to the sr20

135

Yeah I feel ya man nissan motors can take a beating but sooner or later something will break

135

The rwd motors are a little bit diff than the FWD ones depends if there is the VTC or not

15

I paid 2100 for my swap and save yourself the work and do it yourself its really easy cuz its gonna cost around a grand to get it installed thats what local shops charge usually depending on what sr20det

45

You should have got a blacktop out of an s14 silvia... I think you got husselled... I could be wrong tho, but my understanding was redtops were oem in s13's only..

5

Are you retarded a Sr20Vet is a FF sr20det.... meaning if he has a 240 which he does and is a FR car then a sr20vet wouldnt work. Period your stupid learn your nissan engine codes before talking.

I got a Nissan 240 sx 93 and making plans on a engine swap and need suggestions