My pass.side wheel sits in & back a 1" unlike the driverside....

40

Asked by Jan 28, 2012 at 07:15 PM about the 1991 Nissan 300ZX

Durring the last snow I hit a curb dead on with my pass.side wheel. now it sits back a in & back a 1". I took the wheel off & inspected all the suspension parts & nothing looks broke or bent...except there ia a rubber boot that goes over a rod that connects under the spendel is cracked in half ( i guess its a stablizer part ). What part does that rubber boot protect & what do you think i need to do too fix how the wheel sits now?

2,965

Hi , The most likely cause for the position of your wheel is down to a bent suspension component. The weakest point being the lower suspension arm itself. To check this, using a measuring tape, measure the exact distance from the centre of the mounting bolt to the centre of the swivel joint, now measure the distance from the centre of the swivel joint to the rear corner edge of the wheel arch, once you have these measurements compare them to the other side of the car. This can be done the same for the shock absorber, upper suspension arm etc.

40

Thanks Paul... I'll do that today.

40

Dose anyone know what that rubber boot protects? Does it have something to do with the rack & Pinion steering?

2,965

The rubber boot is to stop dirt or water getting into the swivel joint, if it is split the grease can escape causing wear or seizure, i would recommend that the joint is also replaced.

40

Thanks bro. I'll be doing that this weekend. There is also a metal ring just sliding around the shaft.. Its about a 1/4 thick. Is that supposed to be pressed into the swivel joint?

2,965

I'm guessing the metal ring you are refering to is the retaining ring that holds the rubber boot in place on the swivel joint. You should be able to see a groove arond the top of the joint where it locates.