Turbo Upgrade

405

Asked by Apr 09, 2009 at 01:26 PM about the 1991 Nissan 300ZX

i have a 91 300zx twin turbo. the induction system and engine are mostly stock with the exception of upgraded boost hoses. i want to upgrade my turbos. how far can i go before i start getting into trouble.

10

my best advise for you... exhaust, intake, upgrade sidemounts or front mount, and jwt chip. need to do the support mods before going for the turbo's. I had a 90 TT with those mods and believe me the car was insane... it's all about the tuning and using what you have.

75

As the other poster wrote, you do need to do some supporting mods before upgrading the turbos. How much/many depends on how big the new turbos will be. Since you're having to ask this question, do not go with a front mount IC. Our engines are created so that they run almost as two separate 1.5 liter engines; therefore two sidemounts work best. You also then don't need to worry about cooling issues and how to run piping. Get a POP charger. That's pretty much everyone's first mod, and not too expensive. Get an underdrive pulley, and a HI water pump pulley is a nice addition to that to make sure you don't run too hot then (you can get that from "Bernie (NoVA)" - contact into at the bottom of this page: http://www.yugobernie.com/inventory.html). Then get a nice exhaust. You'll have to upgrade to larger injectors and upgrade your chip - I recommend JWT. Replacing the turbos requires pulling the engine, so you might want to think about other stuff you'd like to address while it's out. Good luck.