car wont stay running and have to put a charge on it to restart. new alternator good battery and new radiator.

waddio
0

Asked by Mar 24, 2012 at 04:42 PM about the 1992 Nissan Stanza

I don't have a compression gauge and I am unsure what to check next. could it be electrical. Previously the instrument cluster lights went out and prior to that the hvac cluster lights were not working. I hit a ditch in the road and they came on for about no more than five minutes and never came back on. I am not sure if it is relays or a short in the wiring system.  All the fuse are not blown. And after I put a charge on the battery the car starts but has a second or two before the wipers and all the lights work.

Paul Matthews
2,585

I would start with the basics if I were you. First check the battery voltage and check that the voltage stays at the same level and does not creepaway, next check all the battery leads, ensure that they are ALL connected and tight no corrosion etc, check that you have a decent earthing mountings to body and engine. Finally check with a meter that you have good charge rate amperage,voltage and amps leak. You may have a mega drain on the battery from a faulty consumer.