i drove my 92 nissan stanza for about 2 days, then one day as i was driving to work, i shifted to a lower geer, and it just shut off on me. we checked it out and there is not spark what so ever, what would it be.

Asked by Dec 10, 2006 at 01:55 PM about the 1992 Nissan Stanza

me and my brother checked over and there is no spark, but turns over but does not start, and i cant find a book for it.  so what do i do,  i heard there was an automatic shut down ignition relay,  were would it be, i dont even have a manuel for it, i bought it from a friend of my  brothers.  I have so much money into it that i dont just want to throw it away if its a little part.  can u help me answer these questions.
thanks

16,535

Hi ashes, I had a 92 Stanza as well, so know they are worth saving. First, to buy a manual, check here: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=1992+stanza+manual&category0=&submitSearch=Search Next, here is some advice from http://www.trustmymechanic.com/auto-repair/09/1992-nissan-stanza-engine-has-no-power-at-low-speeds.html: Always start off checking the basics. 1. Spark plugs - best to replace as maintenance every 60,000 miles 2. Spark plug wires best to replace as maintenance every 60,000 miles 3. Fuel filter best to just replace as maintenance every 30,000 miles 4. Distributor cap and ignition rotor - best to replace as maintenance every 50,000 miles More advanced tests: 1. Check fuel pump pressure checking for low fuel pressure 2. Check for exhaust system restriction .catalytic converter or muffler stopped up not allowing exhaust to escape 3. Oxygen sensor or other sensor problem 4. Ignition timing problem 5. Vacuum leak under the hood like in a rubber hose or plastic T connector

10

I have a '92 Stanza and am experiencing the same problems. I was wondering if you found a solution yet?

check the distributor, had the same problem, no spark.

10

We had a similar problem with ours which also suddenly conked out while driving. After checking all the obvious ignition-related things for causes of spark failure and doing a lot of head scratching, the cause turned out to be a chewed up timing belt. I hadn't thought to check for that because it had just been replaced a couple of thousand miles earlier. If you take the distributor cap off and then put a wrench on the crankshaft or bump the starter you can quickly check for this. If the belt is bad enough that it isn't allowing the camshaft to be following the rotation of the crankshaft, then the distributor rotor won't be turning-because the distributor gear is driven by a gear on the camshaft. LUCKILY there was no valve damage to our engine, because I'd cranked ours quite a bit before finding out it was the belt.