92 PU slight miss noticeable when decellerating

30

Asked by Jun 25, 2013 at 03:07 PM about the 1992 Nissan Pickup

Engine flutters.  Engine has 356000 miles. Changed head gasket 6 months ago and noticed this after it was repaired. Engine rebuilt at 200,000. Think all vac lines are connected and attached. Changed wires, sandblasted plugs, changed dist cap, fuel filter.  2.4 engine/std trans

are you getting the timing chain "rattle of death" yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92EGKzh06sg

30

I should have mentioned that the timing chain was replaced too as the guides were eaten up when the head was removed. At least I think it was.

smooooth~

funny how they can stretch and remain stretched until the tensioner gets unhappy for lack of adjustment power~

30

So you are suggesting that the chain is the problem and that I must now question the mechanic whether he changed it too. I know he changed the guides. Is there some way to tell with a timing light test?

...you know Robert this here is uncharted territory with mileage so high...am quite impressed really that these things have the tenacity to 'stick with the show'....a testament to superior Engineering~....wish a Timing Light could be used to check cam position, but no...visually check the marks just like the first time you put the replacement chain in...if it does not have the "timing chain rattle of death" would be unconcerned~ runs smooooth, no complaints~

30

I agree. But I know nothing about the behavoir of an oxygen sensor which has never been changed or some other part that makes it flutter like a very slight miss. Chain is new. I checked with the mechanic today. But out of two mechanics neither knows what is going on.

your EGR valve is supposed to open to allow exhaust gas into the intake...perhaps it's runnin' a little slow on the uptake...not only is it to re-issue exhaust gasses on deceleration is used on acceleration to bring combustion temperatures down...why?, I dunno~ most likely for smog purposes~ your hiccup is from a egr valve that is slow on the draw....take it off and clean it with bra-kleen and put it back...note the operation of the bellows and replace the butyl rubber hoses with silicone ones---final offering~