how do I start my 1992 pathfinder after it has ran out of gas?

Asked by Dec 26, 2008 at 03:39 AM about the 1992 Nissan Pathfinder

855

put more gas in, and start the car... shouldn't be anything more impressive than that... unless you screwed the fuel pump when you ran it dry...

65

try bypassing the fuelpump,and run the fuel directly into the injection-system.Because it may not have the power to suck out the air,and start sucking fuel.My BMW had this problem,and it occures in cars with a rather big engine(6-8 syl.) and a hydraulic fuelpump.

35

Petrol or diesel one? i have a diesel one and it had a hand pump on top of the fuel filter that you haveto pump to prime the fuel pump, haveto take the hose off at the fuel pump to let the air out as you manually pump!

65

that would be about the same as i had 2 do wit my 528i,wouldn`t it? Damn,were smart;) The fuel-pump simply did not have the power 2 suck the fuel from the tank 2 the engine,so i had to"cheat" to make it turn over a few times,and then it started.Newer a bimmer again! The runningcosts are throu the roof.Now i drive a toyota MR2.Best car EVER!

35

yeah, was mainly pointing out the "hand pump" more than anything ;) beamers are known to like a drink ;) nice cars tho

65

Yeah,if ur name starts with B and ends with ill Gates;)No,seriously.They are awesome,but here (norway) they`we gotten a rep. 4 beeing a "gangsters-car" If i had unlimited access 2 money:Audi R8. OR Porsche 997 turbo,but rather the R8.Especially now with the V-10 coming....Well,gotta go,and hopefully sell some fu***ng Toyotas.Nobody buys Lexus these days....

65

In norway we dont have separate dealerships 4 toyotas and Lexus.Man,i drove the new Lexus IS-F a few days ago.DAMN,theres an M3-killer!WOW!

35

Nice! i gather you are a car salesman? im with you on the audi R8 havent driven one but just the look and sound of them makes me drool ;) still have the couple of episodes Top Gear profiled them bloody awesome

15

put gas in it.

Well for a fuel injected car you should never have to tamper with the fuel system when you run out of gas, as a matter of fact, tampering with the lines and systems close to the engine can he hazardous for your health and expensive repair if screwed up as they are under very high pressure. If anything is to be checked it should just be fuel pump to make sure it still works and hasn't been messed up from sucking air or dirt. Most car that aren't super insulated (non-luxury in many cases) turning the key to "On," but not fully to start, you should hear a humming, that's the sound of the fuel pump churning (radio off of course) - early 90s GM cars hand a tendency to make a pretty clear audible hum from the pump. So just put gas in the tank, turn the key to "On" and leave it there for about 30 seconds to allow pressure to build in the injection system.. then start it up.. recommended to add some fuel cleaner too, clear some of the gunk from the bottom of the gas tank that the pump had to endure before fuel depleted.

65

DAMN!Ur smart! did u read the question?

65

id actually take home the V-8.The V-10 has a rew details,who looks like theire there just to separate it from the 8.The v 8 has quad exhaust-tips,and a BULLET-PROOF engine lifted from the rs4,whilst the v 10 just has one oval tip on each side.And the air-intakes on the 10 looks like they just forgot,and used a ruler during lunch,and some paint and chrome here and there,but the devil is in the details..The v8 looks "cleaner" and kinda that was how it was MENT 2 be from the start-look.Ok,the v10 has 105 more bhp,but seriosly,would u miss them EVERY day? befriend me,and i`ll send u 1 or 2 AWESOME videos of the 10 "running free!`" Coz i dunno if i can witout.....But i MUST say:european carshows on tv are 126748396 X better than yours. Fastlane daily with Derek D???? WHAT THE HELL Be a presentor with some depth,not a friggin car-DJ.....

cant start it with no gas in it.