1994 Nissan xe pickup w/ 2400 12 valve

80

Asked by Nov 01, 2012 at 11:10 AM about the 1994 Nissan Pickup

I have a 94' nissan xe pickup 4x4 5speed with a 2400 12 valve engine. It wont start. It will turn over but
wont start. It's not timing, fuel, spark, or anything like that. can someone please help me out. Thanks

18,795

If your positive its not fuel, spark or timing then its either not getting air (doubt it) or a loss of compression. Might i ask how you know it isnt fuel or timing?

Best Answer
80

The fuel pump works, and i just put a fuel filter on it. I can also put fuel down the caborator and it will backfire and some times it will acctually catch fire. I took the cover off the motor to see the timing chain and the timing chain is tight as could be. if you try really hard you can wiggle it maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

18,795

Did this suddenly happen or are you reviving a truck thats been sitting?

80

Suddenly.

80

it's pretty much a yard truck right now. it's got 2 or 3 minor holes in the frame so it just gets used for yard work. I'd like to get it on the road one day but i don't think it we ever get there. but we need it for a plow truck and it don't run.

80

my dad wanted it moved so we put gas in it because it has a pin whole in the fuel line so we don't keep much gas in it. and we put gas down the carb and it fired up and ran but it ran rough so he took it down the driveway and it just died. so we pushed it out of the driveway and worked on it for about an hour and just left it. i dragged it up the driveway with my dads truck and pulled the cover off the motor and the timing chain looked good and was tight. we messed with the distributor but did nothing.

365

ever thought it might be the fuel pump relay?, also have you checked your fuel pump?... when you put the truck in the "on" postion (not starting the vehicle)... do you hear the buzzing sound from your fuel pump?... also it might be your fuel rail or injectors not giving out proper fuel to the engine

80

every thing for fuel system works. we even tried putting fuel down the carb which takes the fuel right to the cylinder. it's still don't run.

18,795

Check ignition timing and vacuum leaks

80

ok i'll try it.

365

also check your egr valve and pcv valve too

80

What are those

18,795

Both of those will cause low engine vacuum if they go bad.

80

ok but what is an egr & pcv valve

80

never mind i googled it. i'll check it out. the egr vavle is easy to get to so i guess i check that one first

365

yea and the parts are less then 15 bucks... somethin you might wanna look into on your truck bradah

80

Sounds good

80

I think it is the timing some how. I can move the plug wires on the rotor one turn and it will try to run. unlike when it is were it is supposed to be it turns over and will backfire and fire at the wrong time. so i do believe it is the timing.

18,795

Try to dial it in with the distributor. Hopefully it didnt jimp a tooth on the chain/belt

80

how do i dial it in with the distributor.

18,795

Usually there is a bolt that your can loosen to rotate the distributor to time it. I havent had much experiance with these engines so idk exactly how or what the spec is.

5

I'm having the same problem with my Nissan Pickup! It for sure is not a fuel problem or an air leak, from what I have gathered! Have you ever figured out what your problem was???

You might want to check your spark plugs