Installed new header.

5

Asked by Oct 02, 2007 at 06:02 PM about the 1996 Nissan 240SX

I have just put a new header on my 96 Nissan 240sx and replaced the o2 sensor. Now if i give it gas it will jump around and sometimes dies out. It's not doing it as much now after the new o2 sensor was put in.. What in the world could this be. The check engine light is on

13,965

Reading the OBDII computer trouble codes will definitely help to figure this out. If you don't have one take it to your local parts store - they should be able to do this for you for free.

5

I had it checked out today and they are saying it the mass air flow sensor. The thing is that it's not happening all of the time. This morning it was bad then at lunch it drove fine. Is there anything i can do check the mass air flow sensor before i spend a lot on money on a new one. I just don't understand this only started to happen after i put on the cold air intake. Before that everything was fine.

45

Go to a junk yard to find one. They wont be that expensive there!

3,245

Junk yard electronics/sensors could go bad the day after you install them. To check the MAF sensor, unplug it and start the car. It should run fine. Plug it back in. Did it miss and try to die? If so, it's the sensor. Since it sounds intermitant, so it could have a bad connector on the harness side. That part you can get from a junk yard.

45

Check the connection on your MAFS sensor... black tube connected to your air box. It should look something like this... http://img.en.china.cn/0/0,0,193,2121,361,240,3d9a74f1.jpg If that doesn't help you can try some of the MAFS sensor cleaner they sell at the parts stores, but be careful not to spray directly into the element itself. This stuff is similar to brake cleaner, but slightly less corrosive.