I have a battery drain on 1997 nissan pickup. New battery,new alternator? Truck will run for a week with battery slowly draining until wont start?

10

Asked by Nov 20, 2013 at 09:04 AM about the 1997 Nissan Pickup

115

Most auto part stores will check your battery and alternator for free. If it all checks out good, check fuses to the alt., and all wiring is clean and tight.

Best Answer
10

I know the alt and battery are good All wiring looks ok from what I can see except maybe the neg battery cable which runs to the body where theer is a clip which holds the cable to the body and then runs to the engine??

10

This subject may be closed but this might help someone else. I have a 1999 Nissan Frontier with the 2.4L and 5 speed transmission. My alternator quit charging and I assumed it was the alternator and replaced it. Still wouldn't charge. By accident when unplugging the wire connector on the alternator I tugged on the wire and it pulled out of the connector. (Broken Wire Inside the Connector). The alternator was not getting the indicator voltage to the regulator telling it to charge. Repaired the connector plug and it works perfectly. Be careful though because I looked high and low and there was no replacement connector available anywhere. I guess you could buy a new harness if you have lots of money. I worked with the connector and the wire actually has a spade plug on the end you can pull out from the back of the connector. (If you can get a hold of the wire with needle nose pliers). Splice the wire and plug it back in and it should be charging now if that was your issue. Good Luck!!!