THE LEFT FRONT WHEEL MAKES A METAL ON METAL SCRAPING NOISE WHILE DRIVING....IT STOPS WHEN I PUT THE BRAKE ON AND THEN GRINDS AS THE CAR COMES TO A HAULT. IS A BRAKE PAD NEEDED OR SOMETHING LOOSE?

Asked by Feb 11, 2014 at 07:13 PM about the 1997 Nissan Pathfinder

Take the wheel off and simply inspect the pad. I don't know the legal specs but if you have, say, 3/16" of brake pad it's fine. There are 'sounding tabs' but work opposite the way you describe, the tabs touch the rotor when brakes are applied and squeal like a pissed-off pig. That tells you it's time for new pads. But squeal when driving and not when brakes applied could possibly be a wheel bearing, making noise rolling but stabilizing with brakes. Have a look at the bearings to make sure they are greased. One more suggestion carrie, writing in upper case is difficult to read for us dumb mechanics and feels like being yelled at. Thanks.