How hard is it to take out and clean my injectors? I have a 1990 Mustang GT 5.0

75

Asked by Aug 20, 2009 at 02:15 AM about the 1990 Ford Mustang

My injectors are dirty and need to be cleaned. What do I do to clean them, and how long will it take? Also, how hard are they to take out?

15

why not just run fuel injector cleaner in the system or take it to a garage where they will clean the entire system with a machine? That would be the safer way in my opinion if you have never done it before.

25

Just run a couple of bottles of injector cleaner through it.

35

why take them out! get your fuel system fine tuned in place with the motor vac injector cleaner machine ,YOU WILL SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE,clean your throttle body as well,and clean your mass air meter(you remouve it and spray wash with a throttle body cleaner)same spray you use for your throttle body,and then youwill fell like your engine is RRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRING.

9,315

If they have any rust are particulates built up on screen inside the injectors, no amount of chemical cleaning will help. So if a chemical method doesn't work for you, then you're stuck doing things the hard way. I haven't pulled them on a 5.0, but generally they are held in by a clamp, have a connector, and a hose. Remove that and they generally slide out. Some engines it's easier to remove them with the fuel rail, as I said though I'm not sure on your specific vehicle. Then you have to send them out to be rebuilt or replace them, you can back flush them yourself but it's a hassle and not worth it in my book. witchhunter.com is kind of the default send off service if there is nothing in your area. Plus they replace some of the internal bits for you and flow test them, if you have extra sets, they can flow match them as well.

25

i would just change the injectors you could buy a set from american muscle for like 160 and they arent to bad to change you just have to take the upperintake off and then 2 bolts after that and you are good to changee them

75

I just got me another job and ain't got alot of money. I am buying used ones from a 92 and will get them cleaned. How much is that full cleaning? I might look into it if it ain't that expensive. Thanks again for the info...

75

The Americna Muscle ones are for modified 302's and mine is stock. I just put Flowmaster 40's and a K&N air filter on it. So, it wouldn't work because 24lb injectors would make me get HORRIBLE gas mileage. I appreciate the info though...