Spark issye

Asked by Jun 21, 2016 at 06:24 PM about the 1990 Ford Festiva

If I crank the motor, the car will not start. But if I just bump the starter, after
one or two bumps, the car will start. Once it starts, it runs fine. I had the
ignition module tested, and it tested ok. I am stumped!

96,935

If you have to whack the starter with something to get it to crank the engine then the fault is in the starter itself, possibly a bad spot on the armature or a burnt disk inside the solenoid.

6,575

Hey Frank, I posted your question to the facebook page (the name of the group is literally www.fordfestiva.com -- just like the actual website) if you would like to check it out. I'll post some thoughts here for you later from some festy gurus. It is interesting and I hope we are helpful and that you figure it out soon. Talk soon,

20

Also check out www.fordfestiva.com the forum page.

6,575

Alright Frank.. we've had a lot of great participation from the Festy family and are hoping to hear from you soon. Just to clarify, when you turn the key and hold (ACC to START), it does not crank (turn over)... and when you "bump" the key a few times, (just turning the key from ACC to START for a brief moment and back to ACC, and repeat), it cranks, fires, runs. If that's so, a lot of folks are thinking it is the wiring cap that attaches to the back of your ignition switch (key). And it is either losing connection when you turn the key or it is sticking, so to speak. You can actually take that cap off and there is a slot that you can use to diagnose with a test light or multimeter. I'd also recommend again, check out the FB page and read that post I made. Also do as scitzz said, check out the forum. There is TONS of great info there and if you have any more issues with this, you might post a thread asking for some more help. I am interested in how to service that switch.. that's one rare thing I've not done on a festiva. Keep in touch please. Best regards,

6,575

Frank, did you ever figure this out? Please, please respond. I asked a lot of people for help to help you out.