does this sound like a lifter issue

Asked by Nov 04, 2011 at 10:53 AM about the 2004 Nissan Quest

I have an 04 Quest SE and upon starting I get a ticking noise it takes a while but the sound does go away after a while. Some are saying its a lifter being off and a synthetic oil change should look after the sound others are telling me its the timing belt anyone else ever experience a ticking sound like this?

25

yes it sounds like a lifter noise. You usually get this from not changing the oil frequently enough or letting the oil get low. you may have to replace the lifters and cam depending on how bad the noise is. I recommend getting 2 qts of transmission fluid to pour in the engine to clean out the oil passages. Doin't drive the car with the transmission fluid in it or you may damage something. Just let it idle until warm, then drain and fill with clean oil, which ever is listed in the manual or on the filler cap.

70

I have that same style and same problem..it starts up with a clicking sound then immediately goes away..I also was told that vehicle was probably driven on low oil..I wander if this will effect my car in long run,I also was told to just make sure I keep up with regular oil changes..

70

How much is it to replace Lifters if necessary?

Something I noticed just yday, my wife drives a 2004 quest that is ticking badly. My other car needed a jump when I hooked up the QUEST and after both cars were running the quest ticking disappeared. Once I unhooked the quest the ticking was gone for 2 min, then it came back ? I think the ticking is from a weak battery maybe causing some type of misfire that translates into the ticking noise. Im going to get a new battery and see if that fixes the ticking.

5,275

Most likely a timing chain issue. I've never seen ticking issues from lifters on a nissan and I've been a nissan tech for almost 5 years.

Thanks Robert bigger fish to fry now. I had to replace the computer earlier this year and I'm now replacing the transmission. I love my van but I'm done now, anything else and it will be a lawn ornament. As for the ticking noise. I switched to synthetic oil and the sound stopped.

Quest04Guy, I have a similar problem. Did you try a slightly heavier weight synthetic oil? One mechnanic suggested a heavier oil to me but the clicking/tapping noises continue. Thanks

I have also a Nissan Quest 1997, and this puppy likes to raddle everyitme i turn the ac. The noise comes from the lifters and it´s been getting bad. However, if turnthe ac off, noise disappears. Forgot to mention that temp goes from 1/4 when off to 1/2 when AC is on....Thankfully, it remains there. Any suggestions ?

Yes mine is on accelerating from a stop and I had my timingbelt replaced.They say use hightest gas but I tried that and still the same Kinda lost now..