Can I repair an AIR pump?

25

Asked by Aug 09, 2007 at 04:37 PM about the 1990 Ford Bronco

AIR pump is producing loud exhaust noise. I'm in Costa Rica and they don't have one available. Is there any chance I can take it apart and do a temporary repair until I can get another one?

43,485

You can simply disconnect the AIR pump belt if it does not run any other important accessories. Typically the AIR pump bearings will go bad and make it sound loud. If it is leaking you may be able to plug the piping for it. If it is the bearings, rebuild kits might be available, but they are so cheap here in the US, a rebuilt AIR pump with lifetime warranty can be had for about $30. A rebuild is possible, but maybe not the best option.