I am considering the purchase of a 1991 montero sport for my son. it has 177,000 miles but runs and sounds fantastic. whats your opinion?

Asked by Sep 12, 2007 at 04:51 AM about the 1991 Mitsubishi Montero

re. 1991 montero sport: it is in immaculate condition ,with no oil leaks or exhaust smoke. it is the mileage that concerns me. this vehicle has been well taken care of so doesnt it stand to reason there is a few miles left on this current motor? what should compresion numbers be for a vehicle of this age?

very sincerely a. allman

45,235

I would not see why you couldn't take this vehicle to 250k miles if it is in good condition and the timing belt has been replaced. Compression numbers should be within 10-20 psi of each other, with any glaring differences indicating cause for concern. Exact compression numbers should be in the Haynes manual for this vehicle, which I would suggest buying just to give you an idea of what specs should be on it so you can compare them to the vehicle. If it were me, I'd look for something lower mileage of the same vintage, just because you likely may be looking at repairs before the loan is settled.

I agree that the first thing you should do is insure that the timing belt has been changed. better yet have it changed to be on the safe side. These vehicles are tough. They havent been given their due by Mitsubishi as they out perform there competition. When buying a car of this age do your due dillegence. Your son will get may miless of great perforemance.

35

I wouldn't worry to much about mileage on these as if it has been looked after they will run forever I don't know a lot about this motor so that's about all I can say sorry.