Keep having to replace the starter in 95 3000gt

Asked by Jul 10, 2016 at 08:56 PM about the 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT

Needing help and knowledge about why the starter
keeps going out in my 95 3000gt. Been through 3 in
3 months and now with the new on one there is still
a grinding noise when the car is trying to start. I
need help

29,045

Do you know if the starter was properly shimmed when installed?

That I'm not sure. I know the basics when it comes to putting parts on and taking them off. What would be the best way to check that? It's my girlfriend everyday driver so I've just been trying to get her back on the road

29,045

Is the engine hard to turn over? Can you isolate the source of the noise? If it in fact the starter making the noise when it engages the flywheel, then you'll have to shim it. Shim kits come with gauge wire (like 20 ga.) or you can use a paper clip to ensure spacing between pinion and flywheel. Most starter come with their own shims. Make sure the starter is properly grounded as well.

The engine seems to crank over fine. There is a grinding/tick noise that at best I can hear coming from the starter. All the wires look good and it has a good ground connection. Are the shim kits starter specific or will any one work?

29,045

You can pick up shims anywhere (or washers) at least with shims you can add/remove them without pulling the bolt. The trick is getting the alignment and spacing of the starter right. i'm not that familiar with Mitsubishis, they have a starter plate that aligns the starter as opposed to the bellhousing I believe, and a dust plate that could potentially contact the flywheel?

165

Thats really odd having to shim a starter? I never had the opportunity yet to change mine yet. Sounds like the grinding sound is from the pinion gear not retracting back all the way in and hitting the fly wheel. Had that happen to my 84 fire bird.