My 1996 eclipse wont start... why?

35

Asked by Jul 22, 2010 at 04:11 PM about the 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse

We have been working on my eclipse project car. The engine is done, (standard 420a) but now we have ran into a problem. It will not start. When you turn the key, you hear cranking but it just wont start up anymore. I think I got it narrowed down to two possible problems:

1. The Engine is not receiving any oil, we put new oil in, but the oil isnt flowing.

2. Could it be the flywheel or anything that has to do with the transmission? Its a manual and its been sitting for a while.

Any help, suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

10

there is probably something wrong with the transmission, maybe a spark jump gap with the pistons could be. there was a small recall of this type of car in 1999, but only in Maryland. so take it to a car shop to have the transmission inspected.

have you tried the engine control module

6,125

What makes you think that the oil is not flowing? because it wont start ? oil does not prevent a car from starting, well least not til its froze up then it wont turn over at all. the transmission will not prevent a car from starting unless its an auto and in gear. if its a manual it should at least try to lunge when you try to start it in gear, since you say its cranking it shouldn't be stuck in gear it would either lunge or just not crank depending on it being auto or manual. verify if your getting spark to the plugs if not work back from there to the coil etc could also be a simple fuse so check those all out also verify that your getting fuel