1998 convertible top leaking

Asked by Jun 23, 2010 at 08:30 AM about the 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

I have a 98 convertible that is leaking. Top doesn't have rips or holes. We're thinking it maybe the seals or drain holes clogged. It seems to leak mainly in the back part of  the car, the backseats and back floor boards mainly get soaked. Also holds water somewhere behind back seat. Has anyone had some of the same issues?  What was the problem or any suggestions on finding problem?

65

i personaly dont have this issue but i sugest checking all the seals,supports and the windows. i say close all the windows line the intierior with plastic to catch water an basicly soak the roof of the car.

50

I have had a 1999 Spyder since April 2000. I have a second top on the car after complaining the entire time of my warrenty. But have the same problem. LEAKING in the back, behind the seat into the space where the top folds down into. My car leaks right through the canvas. Mostly when we have had a very long steady rain (days), and the top gets soaked, you can feel inside the car and the top is wet. I don't know what the suggestion would be to fix it, because the second top is just as bad as the first.

235

I experienced the same issue (with a 1996 model) and found there was a leak at the bottom of the rear glass. Found and Epoxied it to solve the problem.

235

You can get a spray to treat the top with that should make it more water repellent. Auto parts stores normally carry the top treatment. If not, try JC Whitney.

35

i have tried the spray and water still comes into my car..i had the selas replaced and it still leaks. i hate when it rains and when im driving its like its raining inside my car

85

I had the same problem with both of my spyders i sold one already but the one i kept I replaced the top n I havent had a leak since

85

I have an 04 that tends to leak when it rains. I've used silicone for the back window, which worked temporarily. Have thought of just buying a new top, but don't have the money for it right now.

i have a 2009 that leaking too help me too

50

Mine was doing this. I thought it was coming in from rain/car wash somehow. I finally discovered that it was only doing it whenever I ran the A/C. The drain line was clogged. The dealership charges about $800 to repair it. My husband found instructions online for replacing it himself. He changed the hose out for less than $1. It took a couple of hours to do it, but it was worth it. No more soggy floors.

The top is poorly sealed from the inside I separated the cloth top and with a wire brush cleaned the thin layer they use and sprayed with the rubber that is advertise on tv that seals any thing it took two spray cans but it did the job no more leals.