my battery is brand new and wont stay charged. i drove home last nite with no head lites or panel lites. can it be anything besides my alternater?

Asked by Mar 26, 2014 at 04:54 PM about the 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

this 2nd battery in 1 week. do have a dome lite but no headlites or panel lites , acts like brakes catch when applied and then just dies. then only goes click click. i've owed my montero since 2005 and never had a problem, just add oil, antifreeze and tires

145

your voltage regulator could have gone bad but they are usually built into the alternator, you can take your alternator out and have it tested, call around to local auto parts stores and see which one can test it for you. if its not the alternator then you could have a blown fuseable link or a short in your wiring that is draining your battery, an easy way to test for drain on the battery is to disconnect the positive terminal and when you re attach it if it sparks then there is a draw somewhere in the electronics. also make sure your doors are closed and there are no lights on when you do this, its best to try and do this test at night because it makes it easier to see the spark if there is one.

Best Answer
6,015

don't even need to take it out to have it tested just go to advance auto and have them test it in car

6,015

ryantremayne they always spark when you do that it don't mean that theres a drain bro,, but it is a good way to fry you electronics in your car,,, do not do this on purpose its bad advice and don't prove anything,, like I said just take the car to advance and have them test the alt in the car,, but chances are its a bad alt

20

I am having a similar issue with my 2001 Montero... the battery has drained and died twice recently while I was driving at night. What did you determine the problem and fix to be for yours?